Pages

Thursday 8 November 2012

Night Terror - Poem

When I was a child, I used to have night terrors, and as an adult I suffer from sleep paralysis now and then. Don't know why! But, I was reflecting on my childhood last night, writing in my personal development journal. I got angry, slammed the journal shut and went to bed. I wrote a poem on my Blackberry instead - it's from a child's point of view (perhaps that's the frame of mind I was in) and straight from the heart, so won't be editing it. Thought I might share it, I don't usually share my poems because I think they're rubbish, but hey.

I saw a head floating in the curtains,
big with guts hanging from its neck.
Eventually, I managed to scream,
it seemed like ages
before mother arrived at my bedside,
her eyes horrible, frightening
and wide.
"There's a head in the curtains," I said
"Don't be stupid," she said, smacked
my face and told me to shut up,
go to sleep.
I couldn't sleep, cried quietly under the quilt.
(c) Valerie Roberts 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment